Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damien Berry: we have the best offensive line in the NCAA
RB Damien Berry is expected to carry the load running the ball for the team this season.

But that's not how he's looking at things.

"I'm just going to try to be the best back - as far as being that (feature) guy I don't know," Berry said. "I still have to outwork Coop [Graig Cooper], Mike James (and the other backs). I still have to work hard."

Asked if he thinks he's the No. 1 back going into fall camp, Berry said, "we'll push each other, and if I'm the No. 1 guy I'll be the No. 1 guy."

Last year Berry came off the bench in games. This year he can start, which he says would be an adjustment.

"I have to be more of a total back that can play all four downs, do it all," he said.

Of what he's improved most this off-season he said, "blocking, running, being a leader, total back stuff. All that stuff.

"My pass protection has always been okay. But I want to be great. The less Jacory (Harris) gets touched the better."

Berry says the main thing for him in pass protection is "Knowing where I need to be at this particular time. I know the whole offense like the back of my hand."

* Berry commented on the three new faces at running back that arrived on campus last month - Darion Hall, Eduardo Clements and Maurice Hagens.

"Eduardo is more of a shifty, quick guy," Berry said. "He remindss me a lot of Clinton Portis. He's a character. Darion is more of a quiet guy. He's more in tune to learning, try to learn every detail. Maurice, he's trying to sit back with Pat (Hill) and chill, try to learn the offense."

* Berry says he "feels faster, is definitely stronger" than a year ago.

* Of the offensive line, Berry said, "I know I have the best offensive line in the NCAA. Orlando being the leader he is and Tyler (Horn) and (Joel) Figueroa will get the job done."

Berry says the offensive line takes it personally that some point to that group as a possible weak point on the offense.

"I know they take it personally," Berry said. "Some of them talk to me about it, say what we have to do this year. That's going to motivate us for this season. Our offensive line is great, that's what people fail to understand. I know we have the best offensive line in the NCAA."
Shannon has all these kids talking great about each other. I do not even know why someone asks players about the play of other teammates because you know you are going to get nothing but compliments out of them.

The OL has the potential to be awesome next season. I can tell you it brings a smile to my face. Lets just say its Henderson, Washington, Linder, Bunche and Johnson, Wow. We could throw a couple others in as possibilities, but those five could be special. I can't wait for it.