Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Atkinson: It's a beautiful campus
[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Camper/P...D10200.JPG]

Livermore (CA) Granada High School athlete George Atkinson III and his father arrived on UM's campus for an unofficial visit at 10 this morning.

And they didn't return back to their hotel until 5 p.m.

"I had a great time," the 6-foot-2, 194-pounder said. "We toured facilities, checked classrooms, went in the weight room, met with coaches, ate at the cafeteria, talked with the academic advisor - she was real nice, told me how they do things, how they have a great graduation rate. I saw a lot of the campus. It's cool."

Atkinson says he got a chance to meet several players, as well.

"I met a lot of them, and the incoming freshmen that are already here," Atkinson said. "I saw some former players that are in the league - Willis McGahee, Devin Hester and Patrick Willis (of the 49ers). They were working out in the weight room when I was looking around there. Seeing them was pretty cool, how they're part of the family - I heard that word (family) a lot today, and that's always a plus.

"The (current) players - they were just saying hello, introducing themselves. They were saying commit there, this is the place to be, little comments like that. When they said that I said `I'm thinking about it, we're going to see.'"

Atkinson says he remains even among a top six of UM, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Cal and Oregon.

Asked if the visit helped Miami's cause, Atkinson said, "Yeah, definitely. I definitely think I want to come back on an official visit. They're definitely in my top now."

Atkinson said he met with coaches Aubrey Hill and Micheal Barrow.

"Coach (Randy) Shannon wasn't around, but I spent a lot of time with them," Atkinson said. "Coach Hill, he told us how hard they work, things like that. And how they operate. He talked about their plays. Coach Barrow, he talked about how they're a family, showed us the facilities. I got a lot of good information from him."

Of his overall take on the visit, Atkinson said, "It was about what I thought it would be. It's a beautiful campus. I didn't realize how small the classes were - we stopped in the classes and saw that."

Atkinson says he has no plans to make any quick college decision.

* Atkinson says he will also get a tour of Sun Life Stadium tomorrow on his way to Orlando for the Gridiron Kings camp.
Atkinson is another kid I would love to have. Hell I would love for Barrow to pull just a little Cali magic from Farmer. Blackman, Barr or Atkinson.

I know these guys are saying the USC sanctions mean nothing, but I do not believe it. They better have a much better season than last year or some of these commits are going to jump ship.