Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byrd: I think we can be great
WR LaRon Byrd has high expectations for the team this year.

"I think we can be great," he said. "The only thing that can stop us is us."

Byrd's certainly doing his part to be part of a great team.

He's worked hard this off-season.

"I really criticized myself a lot last season,' he said. "A lot of the mistakes I made, I went back and corrected those this summer. (It was) everything from releases, having quicker releases from the line of scrimmage, sinking my hips deeper."

Byrd also spoke about the depth at his position.

"We came in as freshmen, everybody was the go-to guy from their high school program, so of course you come in `I want the ball, want the ball,'" Byrd said. "But coach (Randy) Shannon instilled in our mind it's about team, championships. At the end of the day we know what's best for the team and are all for it."

* Byrd says he's gotten "mentor" advice from former canes like Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Jonathan Vilma.

"Those guys say take every play like it's your last," Byrd said.

* Byrd said of the summer work that "It's going real great so far. We're working hard. We're competing for this big thing this year."

* Of his relationship with Jacory Harris, Byrd said, "when we first came in, everybody wasn't really comfortable with each other. But after hanging around for these years it's a brotherhood. We look up to him as our leader and are counting on him throughout the season.

"In workouts he's doing great, is throwing the ball like the old Jacory. We compete live."

Harris said the Heisman mention for Harris of last year and the national talk of UM that began early in 2009 was a distraction the team has learned from.

"It can get to your head, we're teenagers, but it's about team goals and championships," Byrd said.

Byrd also praised the arm strength of Stephen Morris.

* Byrd said after the team went 3-1 to start last year the team thought "Oh, we're going to the national championship."

"That hurt us down the road," Byrd said, adding the team has to take a one game at a time perspective this year.

* Byrd singled out Allen Hurns as doing a great job catching deep balls in workouts this off-season, and he also mentioned Davon Johnson and Kendal Thompkins as stepping up their games.

* Byrd spoke about the young defensive backs.

"A guy that really stepped up is Brandon McGee," he said. "I don't know what he did, had surgery on those hips and got them flexible - he's flipping his hips great."
Of the new faces at DB, he said, "The freshmen that came in, they're making freshmen mistakes."

Asked about Keion Payne, Byrd said, "he had two picks one day so that shows he has great hands."

* Byrd said the team is aware of the NCAA investigations going on with different programs around the nation, and that the compliance department always lets players know the right things to do.

"The microscope is always on us," Byrd said. "If you sneeze wrong (they'll be investigating).

* Who has stepped up as leaders this year?

"Leonard Hankerson," Byrd said. "He's become more vocal. Him and Orlando Franklin. Orlando became a lot more vocal than last year. A lot of those guys are stepping up big. We're going to need great senior leadership."